Sunday 5 February 2017

Galaxy came to stay and captured our hearts


The universe sometimes places us in situations where we can impact a life. The choice at that point is ours, on whether we take up the opportunity and actually choose to make a difference or ignore the call. Be it as simple as being there or as profound as saving a life, it is a choice we have to make. A conscious choice.

Into the lives of the members in the Mathew’s household walked in Galaxy, well, he didn’t exactly walk in, I carried him in.  Galaxy, a 7 week old kitten of dubious parentage but the attitude of a fighter, was found below my building. He was, when I saw him trying to escape being stomped on by a couple of children who seemed to, strangely, think that kittens who are cold and hungry come to building entrances to be bullied. Of course, their caretakers who watched the fun were also probably under the same misconception, as they did absolutely nothing to stop these awesomely sweet children. As luck would have it for me, for I feel I was fortunate to have made the acquaintance of this wonderful animal, my laziness the previous day had prompted me to park my car outside rather than in the basement and I came across this rather unappetizing scene on the way to work in the morning. I took the lil one home, fed it some milk and took it back down. By then the children had gone and I hoped it would be safe till evening when I could pick him up again. Come evening, I  go to check on the kitty, this time with the entourage of my children and my niece, only to find the poor thing in a similar situation as the morn with cold chilling winds added to the equation. And so, it was that Galaxy came home.

Galaxy, graced us with his playful presence for 2 days. He taught me a very important lesson, that instant bonding is not just human to human but can happen between any living beings. He took to me like he had known me in all of the how many ever of his nine lives he has lived. And me, love at first sight is too mild an adage to use, in a more profound way of expression, our souls connected. When fed he would eat a bit, jump on my lap and sit for a bit, as if to reassure himself that I am around and then go back to eating.  The process was repeated till the food was all done. My children and my niece became instant adulators of Galaxy, constantly peeking in on him, checking to see if he was ok. We had 2 days of perfect behavior from not so perfectly behaved children, food was eaten on time, no extra chocolates were asked for, and there was a quietness and calm, all for the simple pleasure of spending time with a little animal. Every other wish and requirement paled in comparison to “Galaxy time”. We knew that keeping him was not an option. There was no way we could even consider it. But we hoped we could and that magically things would fall into place for us. That was not to be.

So on day two I Sos'd Liz, Liz has her own cat, a beautiful black Persian Chloe (Kitty). Kitty is territorial, as most cats are, but where Liz is concerned she is territorial and possessive. Liz, to me is a cat expert and so is the go to person for cat trouble. I wanted to make sure Galaxy was ok. The understanding was that she would remain with us only for the weekend. However, sadly, hearts are not governed by “understandings” and there we were, suddenly “attached” to a ball of scanty fur. Whether to keep him or give him up was talked about, debated, talked about, pleaded, debated and talked about throughout the two days he was with us. Our visit to the vet gave us the comfort that Lucky Galaxy (as he probably would not have survived the mishandling and the cold) was healthy and not dehydrated, but had a mild case of ring worm, which though would not affect adult humans badly was not very good news for children and cats. The Mathews household seemed out of the question for a permanent home with my mom who is terribly allergic to animals visiting soon added to the equation of curious and attached children and with Liz’s home already having a resident queen of the same species that seemed out as well.

And so it was decided that Galaxy would have to go. He took it quite stoically, though obviously unhappy. He slept in Liz’s arms through part of the journey, with a paw in my hand. Throughout the trip Liz and I talked about the pros and cons of keeping him. But with Kitty to consider and also that Galaxy needed care, we continued on. On reaching the RAK Animal Welfare Center, I told him I was sorry I could not keep him and really really didn’t want to let him go. He looked at me like he understood. After the paperwork was done, they brought out a carrier and I aske
d him to go, he put one paw in and looked at me, as if questioning, is this really what we have to do? If it were possible I would say my heart cracked a bit. But go he did. We almost turned back a couple of times thinking we will go get him back, but then decided that we had taken a stand and so be it.

I returned with tears and sorrow to more tears and sorrow. Galaxy has left an imprint on the lives of the Mathews household and that of my niece and Liz. We miss him, painfully so. Liz is plotting to adopt him. I am with her all the way on that. We hope to succeed. Thank You Galaxy for being a part of my life. Please know that you are loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment